Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Queen Latifah to make Welfare Queen...


Queen Latifah's production company, Flavor Unit, received a first-look deal with Rogue Pictures and Focus Features to produce 'modest' low-budget films with the goal of making three films a year.

Her first project is Welfare Queen which is based on Dorothy Woods, a real woman who used the welfare system to create a little fortune for herself.

Personally, I'm disappointed that Queen Latifah is making Welfare Queen. Although it may be comical to make a movie about a woman who was able to cheat the system to create a little fortune for herself, I doubt this film will do much to counter the image that people on welfare are just lazy good-for-nothings.

Most importantly, assuming the lead is a black female, I doubt this movie will do anything to counter the false stereotype that the majority of people currently on welfare are black women. In fact, white women benefit most from welfare

Maybe I'm too quick to judge and Welfare Queen won't be a comical movie but will be a serious piece that critically examines welfare. However, given Latifah's track record with "Bringing down the house," I'm a little doubtful.

Time will tell what Latifah has planned...

What do you think?

[via Cinematical]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm quite sure this is not going to be an intelligent and thought provoking view of welfare. This movie is negative and that's why white folks greenlit this crap. I'm a black screenwriter and I just sent my script to Our Stories and they passed of course because isn't a negative stereotype of our people. It angers me that Queen Latifah keeps getting movie deals for crap like Who's your Caddy. And now we have a movie about a black welfare queen. She should be ashamed and so should any other black or white people involved in this mess.

Unknown said...

Goodmorning. This is D. Smooth a CEO/Author of an Urban literature book titled "WHAT'S POPPIN?" It's about a kid who had great skills on the court, but lets his street savvy ways lead him astray. I'm also working on my next piece "Camouflage" now and should have it ready by early 2013. I own my own publishing company called City Boy Publishing. I would someday like to make my books a movie or even write some scripts for one. If you could provide me with any type of tips please let me know. dsmooth.blogspot.com Or email dsmoothbooks@gmail.com