Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Tyler Perry's "Medea's Family Reunion" has grossed over 31 million dollars. It held the number one post as the top box office film last weekend, beating out the Weinstein Company's Doogal and other movies.

Most interesting to note, is the fact that "Medea's Family Reunion" was not pre-screened to critics. The critical response to the first Medea movie, "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" was very harsh, with many critics bashing the film as a low-brow comedy.

When "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" toped the box office and made over 50 million dollars in theaters, the producers of "Family Reunion" decided not to waste the time pubbing the movie to critics, when previously the film did fine even amid poor reviews.

1 comment:

Magnus said...

I haven't seen his films, but from what I hear they are not very good. I used to be part of the Church at one point and then left. (still believe though) There was always a drive to support anything made by Christians, no matter what. If it was crap artistically, we were still encouraged to get behind it.
What if Perry's films really are as bad as the critics say? Should people get behind something low in its merits just because it is for their community? Shouldn't people in more marginalised communities demand better representation?
I once reviewed a band for a Christian publication, they encouraged me to review said band as I would any other. (I had been interviewing independents and major label artists for the student paper) I did, they were wholly unoriginal and formulaic - the musical equivalent of paint by numbers or connect the dots. The letters and phone calls that poured in, astounded me. I was told that I had to support them no matter what. My faith was called into question and the band memebers struck a pose similar to Giovanni Bassi's "Martyrdom of St. Sebastian". While a member of that community, I did not think it was inappropriate to demand better art from our so-called artists.
It's your community, I'm not black but have always been interested in the African-American struggle in society. I would pose the same question to the Quebecoises who have a similar struggle for cultural identity in this country.